Nebraska Weed Free Forage

Where is Certified Forage Required?

Public and provincial lands that require Weed Free Forage:

  • U.S. Forest Service
  • Bureau of Land Management
  • National Parks and Monument
  • Bureau of Reclamation
  • Military Reservations
  • Tribal Lands
  • National Fish & Wildlife Refuges

The Nebraska Department of Roads is requiring certified weed free forage on highway projects. Restrictions may apply to other lands administered by provincial, county, state, or federal agencies. Contact your County Weed Superintendent for current certification information.

Who Should Purchase and Promote Certified Forage?

  • Producers and Consumers committed to keeping private and public lands free of noxious weeds.
  • Forage Buyers who transport forage products across national, state and county boundaries.
  • State and Federal agencies which feed livestock and wildlife on federal, state or private lands or initiate re-vegetation projects.

How is Forage Certified?

Contact the weed superintendent in your county to make an inspection prior to harvesting. Certification is based on a thorough visual inspection. A “Certificate of Inspection” form is issued to the producer/landowner if the crop meets the North American Weed Management Association requirements. The forage certification includes surrounding ditches, fence rows, roads, and easement, right-of-way or buffer zones surrounding the outside edge of the crop.

For more information regarding Weed Free Forage Certification, contact: 

Nebraska Weed Control Association
2807 West 2nd Street
Grand Island, NE 68803
Ph: 308-385-5097